Friday, August 02, 2013

Feeling Book Reviewer: April - July 2013


Yes, I know what you're thinking....I suck. 4 books (excluding required readings in school) in 4 months? Not impressive at all. I need to get back to my regular pace but...oh wait school is in the way. According to goodreads, I am 4 books behind schedule for my goal of 35 books for this year and I've only read 16 so far.

Flat-Out Matt by Jessica Park: ★★★★ 
Like the book that came before it, Flat-Out Matt did not fail to impress. The book was written in Matt's perspective, replaying certain scenes from Flat-Out Love which gives insight on his side of the story. A lot of swooning ensued and my love for Matt just reached a totally different level because of this book. The length of this one is rather short, but great nonetheless.

If He Had Been With Me by Laura Nowlin: ★★★★
A book that broke my heart. Seriously, I didn't even think it was even possible. It is about two childhood friends Autumn and Finny who eventually grew apart despite being neighbours and being around each other all the time because their mothers are best friends. The whole book covered their entire high school years and how their small interactions affected their emotions for each other. It also showed how they grew apart then gravitated toward each other eventually. The story had a very realistic pace (it got me bored at some parts) but towards the end, there was a huge build up of emotion that had me screaming "JUST GET TOGETHER ALREADY DAMMIT". I don't want to spoil the ending, but I'll just say again that this book will get you insanely frustrated and will smash your heart into smithereens...in a good way if you can put it. 
  
The Summer I Became A Nerd by Leah Rae Miller: ★★★★
More swooning for this book, mostly because PJ Ligouri was on my mind the entire time as Logan. Dammit... they were so similar as he was described physically. And the nerdiness of Logan I need not compare to PJ's. The book is about a girl named Maddie who was too embarrassed to be a "nerd" that she hides her friendship with Logan after their encounter at the comic book store. Logan's family owns the comic book store and is labeled as a "nerd" and hosts his own radio show at night. Okay. This fact of the plot actually annoyed me because her problem was stupid. However, I guess that's what the book was trying to prove. You'll only be happiest if you stay true to yourself and to others. The book also had several "nerdy" references and had an awesome LARP scene which made me want to try LARP-ing myself! This is a very light and short read(I finished it in one night) and there those tiny moments in the book that made my toes curl. 

Just One Wish by Janette Rallison:★★★1/2
Annika's little brother Jeremy is sick with cancer. His days are numbered so when she asked him for a wish, he chose to meet the real life teen Robin Hood played by the famous actor Steve Raleigh. She doesn't have much time so the next day, she goes on a road trip with her best friend to look for Steve. They go through various funny scenarios to meet Steve and I admired her determination to make her brother happy. The romantic development between Steve and Annika were too fast for me, but there was undeniable chemistry between the two of them. What made me rate it 4 stars on goodreads was the ending which made me sob like a baby. I was content with the ending, but I just wished it could have ended differently.  

I hope I can persuade you lot to read too! Happy reading! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment